Dairy alternatives have been on the rise for years and the growth of these products is projected to continue. According to Grand View Research, the global dairy alternatives market size was valued at USD 26.1 billion in 2022, with an anticipated compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12.6% from 2023 to 2030. The dairy alternative market has high consumer demand, as people’s eating patterns along with diet trends are leaning towards more plant-based options.
Many food and beverage products are focusing on implementing and increasing dairy alternative products in order to keep up with the growing consumer demand. There are a number of factors driving the demand for dairy alternatives, most notably health and environmental concerns.
Dairy alternative foods allow for people to enjoy the taste and texture of dairy-based foods without the negative health and environmental impacts. Some of the most popular dairy alternatives include: plant-based milk, vegan cheese, yogurt alternatives, and ice cream alternatives.
The Health Benefits
- Plant-based dairy alternatives, such as almond milk and soy milk, are typically lower in fat and calories than traditional dairy products. This makes dairy alternatives a popular choice for those who are looking to reduce their overall caloric intake or manage their weight.
- Traditional dairy products are high in cholesterol, which studies show can contribute to heart disease and other health imbalances. Most dairy alternatives are cholesterol free, making them a great option for those looking to reduce their cholesterol intake.
- Alternative dairy products are also often fortified with essential nutrients, such as vitamin D, vitamin B12 and calcium. These nutrients are needed for maintaining healthy bones, teeth and muscles.
- As there continues to be an increase in the occurrence of lactose intolerance and milk allergies. People commonly experience difficulty digesting lactose, a sugar found in milk; dairy alternatives are naturally lactose-free and generally more tolerated by people who have other digestive issues. For those with a dairy allergy, plant-based alternatives are a great option.
Plant-Based Dairy for a Healthier Planet
Plant-based dairy products are generally considered better for the environment because they require less water, land and energy to produce. Traditional dairy product production results in a significant amount of greenhouse gas emissions, largely due to the methane produced by cows during digestion and during manure management.
Alternatively, plant-based dairy products have a significantly lower carbon footprint, with some studies showing they produce 80% less greenhouse gas emissions compared to traditional dairy. Plant-based dairy products and other plant-based foods can play an important role in reducing the environmental footprint of our food system.
Plant-Based Dairy Products Pose Unique Challenges for Manufacturers- Enzymes Can Solve These Issues
Enzymes play a vital role in the production of quality plant-based dairy products. If you want to prevent precipitation or curdling, improve mouth feel, or achieve a longer shelf life while maintaining quality, Amano can help. With our patented manufacturing process we deliver performance gains without compromising taste.
Specialty Enzymes for Plant-Based Milks and Creamers
- Amano Enzymes decreases added sugar content while maintaining pleasant sweetness
- Help products stay creamy and smooth
- Offer an outstanding sensory experience without added ingredients
Specialty Enzymes Improving High-Protein Plant-Based Cheeses
- Texture is generally compromised when plant-based cheeses are high in protein; there are typically issues in processing and the finished product tends to be brittle in texture
- Amano’s Cheesemax™ PBEnzyme meets these challenges by helping to eliminate excess water, resulting in a plant-based cheese that has qualities (stretches and melts) desirable in traditional dairy cheeses
- CheesemaxPB Enzyme also helps maintain a creamy texture and robust flavor
Delicious Buttery Plant-Based Spread
- Amano’s Enzymes help create plant-based butter products which are shelf-stable and provide the desired aroma and flavor of traditional butter
Looking to be competitive in the growing alternative dairy market? Contact Amano Enzyme.
Amano Enzyme has a wide array of specialty food enzymes which can solve your alternative dairy Whether you are looking for a better sensory experience, developing a clean-label product, or trying to improve the flavor of your foods, Amano can help. If you are looking to embark on a new product, we also specialize in custom enzymes.